Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Breastfeeding with no nipples?

Baby Addalie Rhodell has arrived via c-section on 10/11/12.  We are head over heels in love with our fair skinned, blue eyed baby schnitzel.

Being the language barrier can be difficult here in Germany, I can't tell you how many times I just busted out the ladies and put my nippleless foobs out on display.  It was truly the only way I could get them to understand that it's not that I didn't want to nurse, I just didn't have the hardware!  I am not for certain, but I think they finally posted a sign on my door stating that I have no nipples. Haha.  I wonder what passerbys thought?

After the delivery, I had the same sort of pains in my arm pits as I had when I first found out I was pregnant.  It went away after a few days, it was just achey and swollen.  The biggest difference I had delivering after mastectomies was that my uterus didn't contract as quickly because of the inability to nurse and the lack of stimulation to produce oxytocin that aids in contracting.  At my 12 week post partum appointment, I still had swelling and they deduced that it had to do with the hormones because of the mastectomies.  In addition, I am having a harder time losing the weight.  My doctor attributed only part of this to whacked out hormones though, the other part over indulgence....

So the next step is having my ovaries removed.  I am done having babies, so I am ready for this step.  I go in for an ovarian ultrasound next week and had my CA-125 tested at my check up.  I was put on an oral birth control for the first time, although it is linked to breast cancer, it significantly reduces the chances of ovarian cancer.  In addition, it regulates my cycles making it easier for my doctors to watch and track.  Because I have scant amounts of breast tissue the risk here is out weighed by the benefits.

Joshua is slotted to deploy again, so I will not be attempting a surgery until he is back and home safe.  This will mean I am to do preventative imaging and testing every six months; bothersome, but I'm good with it.  The care here isn't far from that I receive in America and they are all supportive of prophylactic mastectomies and oophorectomies.

Because of the breast cancer history, I will not be able to take hormone replacement therapy after having the lady bits removed.  My doctor has advised me that it is harder to lose weight after the surgery so I am now in the process of losing this baby weight that has enveloped my body.  She also warned me of a long list of not so wonderful side effects that I will be able to devote a whole blog post to... YIKES!

No comments: